I have to admit, the Caipirinha is probably my favourite cocktail at the moment. I love the aged cachaca that I’ve recommended, the earthy rum taste and the tequila-like finish; just like rum, it really activates all the right flavours when combined with the sugar and lime. Nothing could be simpler and, in my humble opinion, very few things are better. With the recent World Cup in Brazil, I suspect we’ll see a lot more of this spirit, cocktail and its variations making it’s way on to menus around the world.
Glass: Collins / Old Fashioned
Garnish: Brown Sugar / Lime Wedge
– Cut one half lime into 4 sections and add to glass.
– Add 1 sachet of Demerara sugar.
– Add 50ml Sagatiba Velha Cachaça.
– Fill glass to top with crushed ice and mix through with bar spoon.
– Add more crushed ice to above glass rim.
– Garnish & serve.
There are almost infinite variations to this drink, from adding fruit to switching up the base spirit to create the caipiroska (vodka), caipirita (tequila) and many more.